Obama weighs next steps in South Sudan By Laura Barron-Lopez

View Original / The Hill / 23 Dec 2013

President Obama on Sunday said he may take further action as deadly violence continues to rage in South Sudan.

In a letter to Congress released by the White House, Obama said 46 additional troops were deployed on Saturday to the area of Bor, South Sudan to evacuate U.S. citizens and officials. But the mission was aborted as the troops delivered by aircraft came under heavy fire. There are  an additional 45 troops at the U.S. Embassy in Juba.

“As I monitor the situation in South Sudan, I may take further action to support the security of U.S. citizens, personnel, and property, including our Embassy, in South Sudan,” Obama wrote.

Earlier on Sunday, following a meeting between National Security Adviser Susan Rice and national seucry aides and U.S. personnel, Obama was briefed by advisers on events in South Sudan.

The State Department, in conduction with the United Nations safely evacuated American citizens from Bor on Sunday in another operation.

“So far, we have evacuated approximately 380 U.S. officials and private citizens and approximately 300 citizens of other countries to Nairobi and other locations outside South Sudan on four chartered flights and five military aircraft,” said State Department spokesperson Jen Psaki in a statement on Sunday. “Other U.S. citizens may have left through other means.”

TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND THE PRESIDENT PRO TE…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s